Woodworking Books – Online
This is a small collection of old time wood working books and other reference materials related to timber framing or general wood working. (the links will become active as I get them online)
- Woodwork Joints by by William Fairham
This ebook has a fantastic representation of hundreds of woodworking joints. The drawings are quite good as are the instructions.
- Woodworking Tools 1600-1900 by Peter C. Welsh
A nice overview of how woodworking tools changed as they progressed from the 17th to the 19th century.
- Handwork in Wood by William Noyes
This is a dated textbook for high school wood working teachers. It has some nice explanations and some good diagrams.
- The Mechanical Properties of Wood by Samuel Record
- Seasoning of Wood by Joseph Bernard Wagner
- Teacher’s Handbook of Sloid
- Wood-Carving Design and Workmanship by George Jack
- A Course in Wood Turning by Archie Milton and Otto Wohlers
- Another large collection of wood related ebooks
- additional old woodworking books
- Frugal Woodworking – A growing site of posts related to woodworking without spending a lot of money.
- Inthewoodshop.com – Derek from Perth has a great collection of shopmade tools as well as some excellent examples of tool restorations.
- Woodworking Tips from Jeff Gorman – A great collection of handtool tips and joinery advice.
- Patrick Leach’s Stanley Plane History – This is fantastic info and history on Stanley Planes. [Dating Stanley Planes , Quick Visual Dating]
- HandPlane 101 – Simply a huge collection of information related to tuning and restoring planes.
- WKFineTools.com – an odd though incredibly valuable collection of articles from big names in the field of old tools and woodworking.
- How too Guide for Hand Tools – Collection of articles assembled by Cian Perez
- Woodworking for Kids – This is a nice blog of woodworking tips and projects for kids and their parents
- ABC’s of Hand Tools (pdf) – A great book from 1945 written by GM that is short, simple to read and contains good examples of how to use and not use a variety of common tools.
- Tools Made in the USA (a handy directory)
- Directory of American Tool Patents – Good for researching history of old tools.
- Wood Property Tech Sheets
- Wood Visual – a huge collection of photos of many species of wood.
- Furniture Glossary – a large collection of terms and furniture elements.
- Replacement Parts – Not only a huge selection of parts, but part diagrams for an array of tools
- Saw Handle Templates – a nice collection of PDF patterns for Saw Totes.
Online Woodworking Tools
- Dovetail Template Generator – Handy tool if you struggle with spacing and placement of dovetails.
- Frog Tool Co – interesting assortment of hand tools